Brent Carson has chosen to portray William Little as he recalls the
history of Delaware, Ohio, as William would have known it and it is
recorded in the history of the Methodists in Delaware County.
William was the third child of John and Rebackah (White) Little of
Hebron in Tolland County, Connecticut. Nathanial (Note there are
three a’s in Nathanial) was the first son and second child of the
Before Delaware was a county, William and his older brother,
Nathanial, came to Delaware County from Connecticut via Worthington.
Note there are three a’s in Nathanial. In the October 1808 Election
for County Commissioners, William, a saddler by trade, got 1 vote
from Sunbury Township and Nathaniel got 9 from Sunbury Township and
50 total from Delaware, Liberty, Berkshire, and Union townships.
Nathanial is said to have purchased goods from Byxbe in Berkshire
Township. He had a store on in-lots 63 and 64 at the northwest
corner of William and Sandusky Streets. He died in 1813 leaving a
minor son. The lots were sold to Henry Smith.
During the election William was a saddler by trade switched to
mercantile business in a store on the southwest corner of Winter and
Sandusky. Perhaps he got his brother’s merchandise. He carried
cloths such as velvet, silk, satin, cassimeres and commoners plus
shoes, crockery, hardware, medicines, and groceries. Each year he
went to Philadelphia for 2 months to purchase stock for his store.
Even though Little’s Store was in competition with Col. Byxbe’s
Store, he prospered and became a very wealthy man.
At this point join Carson as Little on YouTube but return to see
what happens to Little after his visit to Sunbury.
|William owned a large tract of land at
the end of Winter Street where Monnett Hall was built. This included
the Blue Limestone Quarry. He and his wife Catherine (Wood) became
the parents of 5 boys and 2 girls.
Their daughter Catherine married a Mr. Siddles. I do not know
what became of them.
When Elizabeth married George Campbell who was known for his
Delaware Grapes, her parents built the stone castle for their home.
It is now the Delaware County Arts castle.
Son John Andrew Little roomed with Rutherford B. Hayes (his
father had the still with Rev. Lamb in Carson’s tale) at Kenyon
College. He became a doctor studying with Dr. Case in Columbus.
John married Caroline Williams, youngest daughter of Judge
Hosea Williams,. She was a good friend of Lucy B. Hayes. They
visited President Hayes' family in the White House and Lucy Hayes
always visited the Little's when in Delaware. A bequest from
Dr. Case’s widow built Jane M. Case Hospital in Delaware. The name
was later changed to Grady Memorial,
William Sparrow Little married Ellen Thomson.
His brother, Louis W. Little became a lawyer in Osecela, Clarke,
Iowa. He enlisted as a Sgt. In November 1861 and served in Cavalry
as a Lieutenant. He died in Washington D.C. March 18,1866.
George Wood Little married Annette Pettibone and ran a laundry
business in Delaware before moving to Cleveland where he ran a stone
Charles Otis Little had a law degree but did not use it. He had a
career in banking. During the Civil War he served in Washington D.
C. and was in Ford’s Theater the night Lincoln was shot. He married
Julia and they lived with William Sparrow and his family.
Rest of the Stoy Information came from “Delaware County Then and
Now” by Ray Buckingham and Baskin’s “History of Delaware County and